Napa Valley EA Exec Board/Council Meeting
March 30, 2020 3:00-4:00 PM
In attendance: President - Gayle Young, Vice President - Mary Duenow, Secretary - Debbie Kmiec, Treasurer - Karen Fleming, Directors-at-Large: High - Deb St. Clair, Middle - Sara Kvidahl-Schmitz, Elementary - Kristin Pruitt, Chief Negotiator - Courtney Garcia, Communications - Mike Wilmarth, Political Action - Michael Alger, Elaine Boloyan,
- What kind of response have we been having with contact with our kids
- Courtney has had 4
- Kristin met with class 2 times a week last Friday and had 23 out of 32. Only has 3 students who she hasn’t heard from wide range of variance of when and how teachers are zooming with their kids (some meet daily, some meets everyday with all of their kids through small groups)
- Elaine 75 - 80% of kids participating with turning in assignments
- Debbie has 10 out of 46 students doing work and have received emails from 3 kids/parents
- Sara hasn’t done anything different and she has about ⅓ of her kids participating
- Courtney has had 4
- Legality - one teacher does everything and one teacher does very little need to keep it equitable and accessible for all. We are going to do all we can for our kids and it has to be received and we don’t always have control over that.
- In negotiations we will be talking about legality, MOU, and compliance
- Facility problems are currently happening - people are gathering at school sites playing soccer, etc. and they are looking to have an order coming from the district and NCPH stating that all campuses are closed. Some teachers want to teach from their classrooms
- Who is doing the planning of the units and how those teachers were selected - recommended by principals district wide group with representatives from all sites
- What is the talk of units being planned - Elementary and Middle school curriculum is being planned and all elementary and middle schools will be doing the same thing district wide until May 1
- Nothing that says we have to specifically use Zoom or google hangouts, etc. CDE is still requiring us to do instruction where is the district getting the 20 min live coming from
- Teachers are stressed, being asked to use Studysync who have never used it before
- Gayle’s interpretation is that there must be 20 min worth of instruction video something that can be flipped, audio etc.
- Instruction piece one NHS student is now the only one bringing money in since she works at a grocery store and her parents are out of work. We need to do our best and who receives it receives it. This isn’t perfect. We are flying the plane as we go. We need to give each other grace none of us have been through this and we need to have flexibility. We can’t control what happens at home.
- Different districts are doing different things
- None of us signed up to be on-line teachers we all want to be in the classroom
- Elementary is really teacher driven with choices looking at the same curriculum
- Need to make sure there are very specific things that teachers need to do and if someone goes rogue for what they feel is what is best for their kids that they are protected with no repercussions.
- Message Gayle said about special ed was clear and needs to be delivered to all
- For google classroom it's all or nothing when it comes to adding a teacher to the class
- You would only want to add a teacher if you were actually co-teaching
- Want to get things out by tomorrow afternoon