Napa Valley EA Exec Board/Council Meeting
July 7, 2020 10:00am-noon
In Attendance: President - Gayle Young, Vice President - Mary Duenow, Secretary - Debbie Kmiec, Treasurer - Karen Fleming, Directors-at-Large: High School - Deb St. Clair, Elementary School - Kristin Pruitt, Chief Negotiator - Courtney Garcia, Communications - Mike Wilmarth, Political Action - Michael Alger, Council Members: Elaine Boloyan
Absent: Directors-at-Large: Middle School - Sara Kvidahl-Schmitz
- Gayle and Courtney met with Dana this morning. For adults it is a county order for masks for children under age 12 they do not. Rosanna will more than likely talk about it today at council.
- Report came out from American Association of Pediatrics saying that there is not a need for 6ft social distancing for kids, just requiring 3ft as long as they are wearing masks.
- Dana’s goal is to get teachers back to work and discipline of all parties: verbal warning, written warning etc.
- We need to look at how we can protect our “people” and that we can literally walk into a classroom knowing that we as individuals will be safe
- We need to start somewhere
- There was a discussion around discipline with teachers and then with students as well
- Restrooms for teachers and students
- Karen is going with Mike Pearson today on a facilities walk at 1pm
- Elementary Scheduling
- Kristin & Courtney sorted out three different options. Need to rename distance learning to get rid of the stigma of what we all faced from March 16 to June 4
- Talked about hybrid and what they liked and moving early release to Friday from Wednesday
- Short days are targeted for small groups
- For Council today will be looking at healthy workplace plan for teachers only not students yet, training prior to the start of school, schedules, with more being added
- Gayle shared Jerry Eaton’s CTA Board update which included Marin County’s MOU with boilerplate contract language which is pretty clear. We need to look at it
- Our district is looking at 4ft between students longer for adults.
- Middle School’s perspective of hybrid was different amongst team members and equity issues came up
- There continues to be a misunderstanding of what hybrid looks like
- Rules around MOU’s - executive board has ability to make decision on behalf of the members if we need to have a vote then information will be sent out districtwide that we will be working on
- Attendance is going to be required
- Daily check ins whatever period it is some present in class some online
- Promethean boards have all been updated